Since dental crowns cover the entire visible aspect of a tooth, they effectively become the new external surface of the tooth. Crowns can be made of zirconia (a very hard and aesthetic ceramic), porcelain, metal (metal alloy), or a combination of these last two.
When are dental crowns or inlays prescribed?
- When there isn´t enough tooth left or there aren´t enough teeth to fill large spaces or gaps.
- To protect weak or brittle teeth from fracturing.
- To support a bridge.
- To replace of a tooth with a dental implant.
- To cover a discolored tooth.
- To cover a deformed tooth.
- To protect a tooth that has had a root canal treatment.